Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Growing ideas

The reason for creating this blog is to get my juices flowing so that I can come up with a brilliant concept and business plan for a new online venture. By following my passion for gardening, I should be able to find some inspiration for this project. Well, so far, I haven't had any flash of enlightenment. I can't even say that I'm "growing" any ideas, and I'm certainly not "harvesting" any either.

What I have been doing is mulling over the thought of connecting gardeners in the same neighborhood. What if we could make group buys of bulbs or plants? What if we could have a tool exchange? (I don't own a tiller, but I might want to borrow one from someone down the street instead of renting one from Lowe's.) If I took a picture of a plant or a tree that I like, could someone identify what it was and tell me where to get it? These don't seem like ideas that are the beginnings of a new business. I haven't struck on anything that's a need or niche to be filled.


The only need I'm feeling right now is for warmer weather to arrive so I can start mucking around in my yard.  I'm itching to rake the leaves and clean up the acorns and start making it look neat again. I want to be able to see when the first green shoots of the crocuses and daffodils begin to emerge. I find myself searching for those first signs of spring. Could that be a bud on the forsythia bush?

Perhaps some dirt under my nails would provide some inspiration that sitting in front of the computer doesn't seem to spark.

BTW, I'm on Blogger and not Tumblr now. I found Tumblr too confusing, and I couldn't figure out how to allow for comments. The downside -- the name Dirt Under My Nails was already taken on Blogger.

No comments:

Post a Comment