Monday, February 7, 2011

A Passion for Spring

(I originally posted this on February 2 on my first blog attempt on Tumblr.)
So today is Groundhog Day, and our friend Phil has predicted an early spring.  Hallelujah! This winter has not been as bad as last year's, but I reach a point each year where the gray and cold begin to get under my skin. I look out on my snow-covered yard and close my eyes to imagine the daffodils that I know will be blooming in a few weeks.

Welcome to my new blog. As part of this semester's courses for my multimedia journalism program, I have to write, tweet, blog -- do something -- to express a passion and then see if there's any chance of turning it into a business. In class, I talked about my interests in travel and cycling and musical theater.  But when I started thinking about what I really enjoy and feel passionate about, I realized that gardening is what I'd like to focus on.

I've spent many, many hours in my small yard in Greenbelt, MD, planting bulbs and shrubs; mowing and raking; daydreaming and planning. What I actually like best about gardening is not thinking. It's about doing and letting my mind wander where it may.

My plan is to write about gardening in the coming weeks -- my garden, my yard.  I don't know the Latin names of plants. I don't have a grand scheme for my yard. I buy flowers that I think are pretty and that make me happy. And my bet is that I'm like 75% of the other gardeners out there.  People who love the feel of a shovel in their hands with the sun on their backs, or at least love imagining it in the midst of a gray, cold February day.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment