Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Getting ahead, but not too far ahead

In an earlier post, I wrote about how I wanted to get a jump start on growing grass in my neighbor's yard this year. Well, I'm happy to report that I did get out there and get the seed in his yard. A couple of Sundays ago, I went to Lowe's, bought the starter soil and the straw mat, and then got to work. It's not a big space, so it wasn't a really onerous job, but it does take some muscle. I had to rake up the leaves, then take the aerator tool and go over the area, then put the dirt down, and then spread the seed. After that, it was the frustrating job of rolling out the straw mat. It's easy at first, but the end of the roll somehow rolls over itself and you have to separate it. Grrr! This was a pain.

Luckily, we had some friends visiting from out of town, and they gave me encouragement along the way (although nobody offered to help!). The photo above shows what the yard looks like now.

So, I've tried to be ahead of the game this year. My only worry now is that it's been so cold this week. I hope I didn't get too far ahead of Mother Nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment