Thursday, April 14, 2011

The grass is always greener, part II



It appears that my worries about putting the grass seed out too early were unfounded. What a delight to see thin little green leaves of grass growing in my neighbor Jim's yard this week. The birds didn't eat all the seed that was uncovered, and he cold didn't keep the grass from sprouting. This is the joy of gardening and growing grass -- seeing those brave little shoots asserting themselves.

I hate to admit it, but what's been really helpful for the grass is all the rain we've had over the past few weeks. I've hated this gray wet weather pattern. One nice day, followed by three gray, rainy days. Repeat. But what I've kept thinking during the rain is -- I don't have to water the grass seed.

I heard an interview on NPR the other day with the author of a new book on water. The author talked about how all the water that exists in the world today is all the water that has ever existed in the world. There's a constant recycling of water. He remarked that some of the water we drink today was dinosaur pee at one point. That's a really fascinating idea (not to mention a pretty interesting mental image). So maybe it was the dinosaur pee that made the grass grow in Jim's yard. Whatever it was, I'm happy to see that it's off to a good start. We'll see if the rain keeps falling or if I have to start watering.

If you're interested in the book on water, it's called The Big Thirst by Charles Fishman. Here's a link to the NPR interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment